"Wonderful Beast is keeping alive the very essence of storytelling" — Penelope Wilton
Wonderful Beast is the Suffolk based theatre company, which brings myths, legends, folk and fairy tales to audiences of all ages and in all sorts of ways. It rarely tells stories the same way twice and music always plays a prominent role. The company has dramatized tales from all over the world: it has sung, danced, played and animated them, devised bi-lingual shows (Norwegian in Tatterhood and Hindi in Little Red Chunni), and staged two community operas, The Six Swans in 2014 and The Nightingale in 2016. Wonderful Beast has collaborated with English Touring Opera on nation-wide school tours, work shopped and performed in India and launched Storm of Stories, a biennial festival in Suffolk.
Wonderful Beast is constantly expanding its vision and increasing its activities and now works with an age range from 0 year (Orla and The Sun) to as old as is willing!
• works with international actors, musicians, writers, storytellers, dancers and designers who share a passion for these universal tales and who contribute their multi-disciplined talents in bringing these great stories to life.
• is committed to participation through offering creative opportunities led by experienced professional artists to people of all ages to express themselves in ways they never thought they could.
• believes in the power of intergenerational collaborative projects which can tansform lives and generate confidence, joy and well-being.
• continues to develop its educational and outreach work and has benefited from partnerships and collaborations with English Touring Opera, Mid Suffolk & Babergh Local Authority, Aldeburgh Music, Suffolk Artlink, Pro Corda and local schools.
• launched Storm of Stories in 2012, a biennial festival in Leiston and Aldeburgh. The inspiring variety of performances and events by storytellers, musicians, actors, singers, talkers, dancers, children, scratch choirs and local people has established the company as one that attracts the best practitioners in their field, whilst holding the community in its heart.